Victims of Crime

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • First, overseas, Consular officers and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • Second, back In the United States, our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members at home, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.

If you are the victim of a crime overseas:

  • Contact the U.S. Embassy :
    • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help.  Request a copy of the police report.
    • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
    • Remember that some U.S. states have victim compensation programs which provide benefits to its residents who are victims of violent crime overseas. Most compensation programs require the victim to file a report at the time of the incident, and to provide a copy with the application. Some states’ programs include financial assistance to pay for:
        • Medical costs, including counseling
        • Funeral or burial expenses
        • Lost income or loss of support
        • Expenses related to the repatriation of remains