Date Update: 01/04/2022
Passports for minors under age 16 have different requirements than adult passports. Each parent listed on the birth certificate and the child must be physically present when applying for the passport.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
- $135 application fee
- Passport application Form DS-11. Please do not sign the form until requested to do so by the Consular Officer at your appointment.
- One passport photo of your child
- Signed, government issued photo identification for each parent. Please bring the originals and one copy of each.
- Your child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Please bring the original and one copy.
- Your child’s previous passport
How do I pay?
You can pay in cash at the Embassy. The fee for the passport is $135.00, payable in U.S. dollars or 81,000 FCFA. The Embassy accepts either dollars or FCFA, but not a combination of both.
How long will it take to process?
The passport is produced in the U.S. and mailed to the Embassy. You can usually pick it up two weeks after submitting the application. We will contact you when it is ready.
How long will the passport be valid?
Passports for children under 16 have a validity of 5 years.
Can we keep the child’s old passport?
Yes. You can keep the old passport while the new one is being processed. We will cancel and return the old passport on the day you pick up the new one.
What if only one parent is able to appear at the Embassy?
What if only one parent’s name is on the birth certificate?
Only the parent listed on the birth certificate signs the passport application.
What if one parent is deceased?
Please bring the original death certificate and one copy.
What if I have sole legal custody of the child?
Please provide the original court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent.