COVID-19 Information for Gabon and São Tomé and Príncipe
Last updated: 05/09/2022
*** Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ranks Gabon as Level 2, on a 4-level system. Level 2 indicates “Moderate Level of COVID-19 in Gabon.”
- On March 9, 2022, Gabon announced the lifting of the main measures taken to curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
São Tomé-Specific Information
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ranks Sao Tome and Principe as Level 1, on a 4-level system. Level 1 indicates “COVID-19 Low in Sao Tome and Principe.” The government of São Tomé and Príncipe has the following COVID-19 measures in place:
- Members of the public are encouraged to remain home when possible and to avoid large gatherings. Individuals must wear a mask in all closed public places and on all roads unless the driver is the sole occupant of the vehicle.
- Churches may operate at one-half capacity Nightclubs operate at one-half capacity. However, vaccination card is mandatory or negative test for those who are not fully vaccinated”.
- Wash hands with soap and water or disinfect them at the entrance of all public and private institutions.
- Funerals and wakes for those who passed away from COVID-19 have stringent restrictions
- Music festivals and popular celebrations are allowed at one-half capacity of the venue. However, vaccination card is mandatory or negative test for those who are not fully vaccinated”.
All these measures apply to all STP territory.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Gabon? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/covid-19-travel-restrictions-and-exceptions.html
- COVID-19 PCR tests are free of charge for in-country travel, and it takes two to three days to receive a result. It is 20,000 FCFA for same day results and testing for international travel; these costs are covered by the individual requesting the testing.
- The following sites offer COVID-19 testing in the greater Libreville area (https://infocovid.ga):
- Hôpital de Campagne (Field Hospitals): Stade d’angondje
- Centre de Santé (Health Centers): Awendje, Okala, Louis, Owendo, London, La Peyrie, Lalala, Nzeng Ayong, Glass
- Centre Médicaux (Medical Centers): Ntoum
- Hôpitaux (Hospitals): Hôpital de Nkembo, Hôpital Sino-gabonais, Hôpital égypto-gabonais
- Centres Hospitaliers Régionaux (Regional Hospital Centers): MELEN
- Centres Hospitaliers Universitaires (University Hospital Centers): Libreville, Owendo, Mère-Enfant Jeanne Ebori
- Structures Privées (Private Institutions): Polyclinique Chambrier, Cabinet médical inter-entreprises, Cabinet ORL Dr Edzang
- Unités Mobiles (Mobile Units): Gigi, aéroport, Charbonnages, Awendje, SNI
- Hôpitaux Militaires (Military Hospitals): Akanda
- Infirmeries Garde Républicaine (Republican Guard Clinics): Infirmerie principale, Groupement d’intervention parachutiste, Groupement aérien présidentiel
- Infirmeries Gendarmerie Nationale (National Gendarmerie Clinics): Santé maternelle et infantile, Gros bouquet, Owendo
- Infirmeries Forces De Police Nationale (National Police Force Clinics): Komo, Sorbonne, Santé maternelle et infantile Fopi
- Infirmeries Forces Armées Gabonaises (Gabonese Armed Forces Clinics): Infirmerie principale Louembet (Baraka), 1er Régiment de parachutistes gabonais
- Laboratoires (Laboratories): Laboratoire Professeur Daniel Gahouma, Laboratoire national de santé publique
COVID-19 test results are delivered to the patient by printed copy.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Gabon approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Gabon for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Gabon? Sinopharm and Pfizer
- Information about Gabon’s vaccination program can be obtained locally by calling the Gabon vaccination call center at 1314. Updated information is provided by the Government of Gabon on their Facebook page: Info Covid19 GABON – Home | Facebook
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Ministry of Tourism’s Facebook page: Ministère du Tourisme | Facebook
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? No.
- Visa extensions for residents and tourists should be requested in advance at the Direction General de I’Emi-Immigration (DGDI), located in Olumi, Libreville.
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
Commercial air travel continues with limited international flights per airline per week. Crossing land and sea borders for commercial goods and services requires prior authorization. Tourists are not permitted to arrive by land or sea.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- US Embassy Libreville offers emergency ACS services as needed. If you need a U.S. passport or CRBA, or other emergency services, please contact us at LibrevilleACS@state.gov. Routine services are by appointment only. Appointments must be scheduled online.
- The Visa Section is open for all services: Routine appointments must be scheduled online. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a visa emergency.
- Gabon COVID-19 Hotline: 1410
- Gabonese government’s COVID-19 website: https://infocovid.ga
- Ministry of Health: