Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (December 16, 2021)
Location: Gabon, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season there is the potential for increased crime in Gabon. Planned attacks and criminal activity often occur in crowded public locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, schools, and other areas frequented by tourists. Public events, such as demonstrations, holiday events, and celebratory gatherings are also at a higher risk for violence.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Keep personal belongings in your vehicle out of sight.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.