Location: São Tomé and Príncipe
Event: Mandatory General Confinement from May 6 to May 17
The government of São Tomé and Príncipe has announced a mandatory general confinement starting on May 6 and continuing until May 17. During the period of confinement, residents may leave their homes only to procure essential goods such as food and water or to obtain emergency medical services. Residents who violate the confinement order may be subject to criminal charges. Employees who provide essential services may circulate during the period of confinement but must carry documentation evidencing their status as essential workers.
Stores selling essential goods will be open from 8:00 am at 3:00 pm. Government entities providing essential services will be open from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm, with the exception of health, public safety, and government communication services which may operate outside of these hours.
The Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that they will receive alerts and messages from the Embassy.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Libreville has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon
Sablière, BP 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- São Tomé and Príncipe Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter