Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (March 19, 2020)
The Gabonese government has confirmed three cases of COVID-19 in Gabon.
On March 17, the Gabonese government announced that it is restricting international flights to and from Gabon to one international flight per airline per week. The availability of flights is limited. Although some major airlines have flights scheduled for March 20, the availability of flights in subsequent days and weeks is uncertain.
On March 19, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
The government of Gabon has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy, Libreville, Gabon
Sablière B.P. 4000
Tel: +241 01 45 71 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter.