Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (March 18, 2020)
Location: São Tomé and Príncipe
As of March 18, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in São Tomé and Príncipe.
On March 17, the São Toméan government declared a state of emergency and announced the following new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:
- Non-resident foreign nationals are prohibited from entering the country.
- São Toméan nationals and foreign residents of the country will be subject to a mandatory home quarantine that will be enforced by health agents and law enforcement officials.
- All public and private schools in the country will close.
- All public gatherings of a cultural, recreational, or religious nature are prohibited.
- Technical and governmental missions are authorized to enter the country only at the invitation of the São Toméan government and must provide proof that they have been tested for the virus.
- Charter flights are prohibited from landing at the country’s airports.
- Cruise ships are prohibited from docking at the country’s ports.
- Crew and passengers of recreational and fishing vessels are prohibited from disembarking in the country.
- The issuance of diplomatic and special service passports is suspended except as authorized by the Prime Minister and Head of Government.
- In the absence of commercial flights, hospital supplies and consumables will be secured on an emergency basis via flights chartered for that purpose.
The above restrictions take effect at 6:00 p.m. on March 20. They will remain in effect for 15 days but may be extended for additional 15-day periods up to a maximum limit of 90 days.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy in Libreville has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please call +241 11-45-71-00 and ask for the Consular Section during working hours, or +241 77-38-01-71 after hours.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Embassy, Libreville, Gabon
Sablière B.P. 4000
Tel: +241 01 45 71 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- São Tomé and Príncipe Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.