As of March 17, the Gabonese government has confirmed one case of COVID-19 in Gabon.
On March 16, the Gabonese government announced the following new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:
- International flights to and from Gabon are limited to one flight per week per airline.
- Restaurants are closed to the public with the exception of takeout and delivery services.
- Gatherings of 30 or more persons are prohibited.
- All places of worship are closed.
- All court hearings are cancelled with the exception of essential litigation.
- Visits to prisons are prohibited.
- Visits to hospitals are prohibited absent express authorization from medical personnel.
These measures are in addition to previously announced measures listed on the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage, including the suspension of tourist visas for persons coming from the United States, China, South Korea, and EU countries, the closure of educational institutions, and enhanced screening at ports of entry. Media reports indicate the Gabonese government is also restricting the movement of persons across the country’s land borders.
Persons entering Gabon with recent travel to countries deemed high risk, including those previously listed, will be subject to quarantine. Asymptomatic Gabonese nationals and residents of Gabon may be permitted to self-isolate at home subject to the approval of Gabonese authorities. Others will be placed in a designated hospital or a hotel requisitioned by the Gabonese government for such purposes.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy in Libreville has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please call 011-45-71-00 and ask for the Consular Section during working hours, or 077-38-01-71 after hours.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy, Libreville, Gabon
Sablière B.P. 4000
Tel: +241 01 45 71 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.