Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (March 11, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
As of March 11, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Gabon.
On February 7, the Gabonese government restricted entry for travelers who had visited China within 14 days of arrival. On March 8, the government announced additional measures designed to reduce the spread of COVID-19. These measures include:
- Restricting travel to and from countries deemed to be high risk for the spread of COVID-19;
- Automatic quarantine for Gabonese nationals and residents who have visited high risk countries and exhibit symptoms of the virus;
- Restricting non-essential foreign travel by members of the Gabonese government.
The Gabonese government has not specifically identified the additional countries that are viewed as high risk. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
The Gabonese government has recommended postponing international events scheduled in Gabon. Persons in Gabon may call the Gabonese government’s COVID-19 hotline by dialing 1410.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy, Libreville, Gabon
Tel: +241 01 45 71 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.