Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (June 30, 2020)
Event: Resumption of Commercial Flights and Removal of Certain Restrictions
On June 30, the Gabonese government announced that a number of the restrictions put in place in response to the COVID-19 pandemic will be lifted or modified. The following changes will take effect on July 1 at 05:00:
- Commercial air travel may resume. Two international flights per airline per week will be permitted.
- Although Gabon’s land and sea borders will remain closed to travelers, travel by air, boat, and train within Gabon may resume.
- Regular working hours will resume in the public and private sectors.
- Hotels may reopen.
- Restaurants with outdoor dining terraces may reopen.
- A curfew will remain in effect, but with reduced hours (20:00 to 05:00).
- Classes for students who plan to take the baccalaureate exam in August will resume on July 20. Post-secondary classes may resume on July 13.
Masks are still required in public and social distancing and hygiene requirements will continue. The government cautioned that restrictions may be reinstated in certain locations or throughout the country if new outbreaks occur.
The Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that they will receive alerts and messages from the Embassy.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Libreville has suspended all routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon
Sablière, BP 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter