Event: Information Concerning the Resumption of International Commercial Flights
International commercial passenger flights have resumed in Gabon. Below is information that may be of assistance for U.S. citizens preparing to fly to or from Gabon in coming weeks.
The following restrictions are now in place at the Léon Mba Libreville International Airport:
- The airport hall will only be open to passengers who are traveling and authorized airport personnel.
- Passengers must wear a mask.
- Passengers will not be permitted to exit the airport after check-in.
- Due to new health measures, the amount of time required for check-in is expected to increase. Passengers are advised to be at the airport at least three hours before takeoff.
COVID-19 Testing and Quarantine Requirements
Departing Passengers: Proof of a negative result on a COVID-19 test is not required for passengers departing on international flights unless required by the country of destination.
Arriving Passengers: Proof of a negative result on an RT-PCR test taken within five days of departure is required for passengers entering Gabon. Entering passengers may also be required to submit to health screening measures, including an RT-PCR test, upon arrival. Please note that the U.S. Embassy in Libreville does not offer COVID-19 testing services. For recommendations on testing sites in Gabon, please contact Gabon’s COVID-19 hotline (1410). A listing of testing sites in Libreville can be found on the Gabonese government’s COVID-19 website.
Passengers entering the country are required to self-isolate in their place of residence for 14 days from the date of their arrival. Self-isolation may take place in a city other than Libreville if Libreville is not where the passenger resides or will be staying.
The following airlines currently have international flights scheduled depart in July from the Léon Mba Libreville International Airport:
- Air France has scheduled two flights per week with departures from Libreville on Thursdays and Sundays at 11:00 and arrival in Paris at 19:00. Passengers must wear masks throughout the flight. Due to COVID-19-related travel restrictions, U.S. citizens transiting through the airport may not leave the international zone and will not be admitted to France. Luggage must be checked through to your final destination. The duration of transit must be less than 24 hours. Passengers must complete two forms — an International Travel Certificate and a Sworn Statement of Absence of COVID-19 Symptoms.
- Ethiopian Airlines has scheduled two flights per week with departures on Mondays and Fridays at 12:45 and arrival in Addis Ababa at 20:00. Passengers must wear masks throughout the flight. Quarantine and COVID-19 testing requirements in Ethiopia do not currently apply to passengers transiting to a connecting flight.
- Turkish Airlines plans to commence flights from Libreville to Istanbul on July 21. The July 21 flight is currently scheduled to depart from Libreville at 13:20 and to arrive in Istanbul at 22:50. Subsequent flights are scheduled to depart from Libreville on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 18:00 and to arrive in Istanbul at 03:30. Passengers may be subject to health screening measures on arrival.
- Other international airlines serving Gabon have not yet released their flight schedules.
The above information is subject to change. Please contact airlines directly for the most up-to-date flight information. For additional information about entry and exit requirements, please see the COVID-19 information page on the website of the U.S. Embassy in the country of interest.
The Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that they will receive alerts and messages from the Embassy.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Libreville has suspended all routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon
Sablière, BP 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter