Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide. As of March 15, there is one confirmed case of COVID-19 in Gabon.
On March 13, the Gabonese government announced the following measures:
- The suspension of tourist visas from the most infected areas, including the European Union, China, South Korea and the United States;
- The closure of daycare centers, schools, universities and vocational training centers throughout Gabon until March 30;
- The closure of bars and nightclubs until further notice;
- A ban on the assembly of more than 50 people throughout the country;
- A suspension of national sporting and cultural events;
- A recommendation that people use public transport only for essential travel.
The U.S. Embassy remains operational, but has reduced non-essential activities and is taking the following extra precautions:
- All Embassy-sponsored public-facing events have been cancelled.
- All non-essential consular services have been suspended. The Embassy will continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
- The Embassy has encouraged personnel to limit gatherings and in-person meetings and to evaluate their level of social interaction.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- S. Embassy, Libreville, Gabon
Tel: +241 01 45 71 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter.