Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon (May 19, 2020)
Event: Confinement Measures Remain in Place
Although the Gabonese government has lifted the State of Emergency, previously announced confinement measures will remain in place until further notice. These measures include the following:
- All parts of the country are subject to a curfew between 6:00 pm and 6:00 am.
- Air, land, and sea borders remain closed except for repatriation flights and the transport of food, petroleum, gas, and freight.
- Long-distance travel between cities is prohibited in the absence of a special authorization from the Gabonese government.
- Places of worship, performance halls, museums, game rooms, motels, bars, and nightclubs will remain closed until further notice.
- International and national conferences, sporting events, political demonstrations, cultural, religious, and sporting events are prohibited.
- All persons must wear masks in public.
If the ban on international flights is not lifted and there is sufficient interest, the Embassy may organize a final departure flight from Libreville to the United States in June. That flight, if scheduled, will likely be the last departure flight the Embassy will organize until commercial flights resume.
If you are a U.S. citizen who has any interest in returning to the United States before commercial air travel returns to Gabon, please send the following information to LibrevilleACS@state.gov as soon as possible. Please note: providing this information does not obligate you to take a flight. However, if the Embassy does not have your information well in advance of a flight, local regulations may prevent you from boarding a flight. The information the Embassy requires in advance is the following:
- Your full name as spelled in your passport
- Current phone number and WhatsApp number
- Email address
- Date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Passport number, date of issuance, date of expiration. If not a U.S. passport, please note country of issuance.
- Current location (city, country, hotel name if not in residence)
- Healthcondition and special considerations
- Number of U.S. citizens in your party. Please note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members seeking to travel with you.
- Gabonese visa status (i.e. valid until MM/DD/YYYY)
- Employer or affiliation within Gabon
- Scanned copy of the bio page of your passport and visa or carte de séjour
If a flight is scheduled, seats will be offered first to official U.S. government personnel and their dependents, U.S. citizens at higher risk from COVID-19, U.S. citizen minors (accompanied by one parent or guardian), and adult U.S. citizens in need of medical assistance who do not fall into a higher priority group, in that order. After these priority boarding groups are accommodated, seats may be offered to other U.S. citizens, dependents of U.S. citizens, U.S. Legal Permanent Residents, and other eligible persons, in that order. All passengers must be authorized by the Gabonese government to depart and must have appropriate travel documents to enter the United States.
The Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that they will receive alerts and messages from the Embassy.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Libreville has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Gabon.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Libreville, Gabon
Sablière, BP 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Gabon Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter