The Hubert H. Humphrey Competition for the 2019-2020 Academic Year is NOW OPEN.
The deadline for applications is September 15, 2018.
For enquiries and guidance during the application period, please email: PublicAffairsLib@state.gov
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program is a Fulbright program that provides mid-career professionals from designated countries around the world an opportunity to enhance their professional capacities through participation in specialized 10 month non-degree programs.
During their stay at a host American university, Humphrey Fellows are invited to take graduate courses relevant to their professional interests. However, as the Humphrey Fellowship is not a degree program, participants spend a considerable portion of their time engaged in professional development activities including: consultations and affiliations with U.S. faculty and experts, field trips, workshops, research projects, and the development of practical useful strategies that could be applied in the Fellows’ home countries.
Fellows are selected through a competitive process based on leadership and commitment to public service in the public or private sector.
Academic: The Humphrey program is classified as a non-degree program. Humphrey Fellows cannot transfer from non-degree status to degree status. Humphrey Fellows pursue tailored study programs at participating host institutions, where the freedom from the requirements of a degree program gives each Fellow the flexibility to pursue a self-directed, individualized program.
Professional: Early in the academic year, each Fellow develops, with assistance from the local campus coordinator and faculty advisors, a plan for professional activities carefully geared to the Fellow’s need for relevant, practical professional experiences. A Fellow’s professional-development plan may include professional visits, conferences, and a professional affiliation (mid-career internship/residency) that must be at least six weeks in duration.
The Humphrey Fellowship offers opportunities in the following fields:
- Sustainable Development
- Economic Development
- Public Health
Eligibility Requirements: Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of a four-year undergraduate degree from S.A. (BA + Honors)
- Have a minimum of five years of full-time professional experience beyond the attainment of a first university/undergraduate degree prior to August 2018
- University lecturers have to have management or policy responsibilities and experience. Exceptions apply to teachers of English as a foreign language and specialists in substance abuse preventions and treatment
- Demonstrated Leadership Ability: candidates should have achieved positions of significant responsibility at the national, regional or local level and show clear promise to assume greater future leadership roles
- A record of public service in the community: candidates careers must reflect a present and future commitment to public service, broadly defined in the public, NGO, or private sector
The following individuals are not eligible for the HHH Fellowship:
- Individuals who have attended graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2019 are ineligible to apply
- Individuals who have had more than six months of U.S. experience during the five years prior to August 2019 are ineligible to apply
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status are ineligible to apply.
The Fellowship provides for:
- Payment of tuition and fees at the assigned host university;
- Pre-academic English language training, if required;
- A living allowance, including a one-time settling-in allowance;
- Accident and sickness coverage;
- A book allowance; one-time computer subsidy;
- Air travel (international travel to and from the U.S. for the Program and domestic travel to required program events);
- A Professional Development allowance for professional activities, such as field trips, professional visits and conferences.
For additional information visit the HHH website: https://www.humphreyfellowship.org/